Well it is that time of year again, kids are going back to school. This SundaySupper we are focussing on easy 30 minute meals for these busy times. Now Morgan might be too young for the school part but I can relate for the need for quick and easy meals so I was excited to participate. Even more reason for excitement was because the main ingredient for this recipe came from my own garden. Both my husband and I have a love affair for Mexican food so moving back to the UK meant that we had to find creative ways to still enjoy those wonderful flavours. Chris’ favourite salsa has always been green salsa (tomatillo salsa) however you can’t get tomatillos in the store here, nor can you buy the salsa ready made. So I set about the task of trying to find out if I could grow it here. I planted four tomatillo plants in the back of my green house, half heartedly expecting it to not survive because of its need for hot weather. Much to my surprise it not only survived but it thrived. I now have 4 out of control bushes that I am having to prune back and we are loving it. So this was my first recipe with part of my harvest and I can say that it did me proud. I found this recipe from Simply Recipes and only slightly adapted it to meet my cooking and timing needs. It was honestly the easiest recipe to make, and would be even easier if you wanted to just skip making your own salsa and just buy green salsa from the store.
Tomatillo Chicken Stew
675g (1 1/2 lbs) tomatillos
1-2 jalapeño chile peppers, chopped (seeds removed if you don’t want it hot)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 handful of chopped coriander (cilantro)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lime (or lemon) juice
Pinch of sugar
1 Kilo (2 lbs) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and pepper
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
375mL (1 1/2 c.) chicken stock
500mL (2 c.) tomatillo sauce
1 tsp dry oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped
1/4 c. packed chopped coriander (cilantro)
Recipe from Simply Recipes
*If you can’t find tomatillos where you are you can just substitue jarred green salsa
Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos and rinse well. Cut the tomatillos in half and place them cut-side down on an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan.
Place the tomatillos, any juice they have released, chile peppers, garlic, salt, lime juice and sugar in a blender, and pulse until well blended. If you make ahead, refrigerate until needed.
Add 2 Tbsp of oil into a large sauce pan and cook the chicken until most of the way cooked, about 3 minutes. Set aside. The original recipe calls for you to brown the chicken which would work better in a frying pan. But this would have required an additional item to wash so I skipped it and just cooked it like this, to be honest I don’t think I would have noticed enough of a difference in the dish to warrant the extra work to brown the chicken.
In the pan drippings saute the onions, ground cumin and coriander. Add a splash of water into the pan to deglaze the pan while the onions are cooking. Once the onions are softened and the browned bits from the chicken have been picked up by the onions and are no longer sticking to the pan add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, until fragrant.
Add the chicken, the tomatillo sauce, chicken stock, and oregano to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add the cilantro to the stew in the last minute or so of cooking. Serve over white rice, accompanied with sour cream if needed to offset the heat from the chiles. The stew will thicken as it cools.
Check out more easy 30 minute meals from the Sunday Supper Crew.
Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about Back to School Meals and ways to make meal time easier!
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and we’ll be talking all things Back to School Meals during our chat!
We’d also love to feature your Back to School Recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!