I love tofu but have to confess that I haven’t played much with it outside of frying it. So when I found out that Sunday Supper was doing a meatless theme I decided that it was time to branch outside of my comfort zone with tofu. When I had previously looked up recipes for tofu burgers it seemed the normal way to do it was slice the tofu and just serve it as is grilled. Now to me that didn’t seem very exciting so when I found this recipe on Chef in You I decided it was more down the route I wanted to go. This burger was so full of flavour and the texture was perfect.
I am so excited about the menu today because we are always looking for new meatless recipes to try. Going meatless for meals during the week was one of the first changes I made to our budget when we started this journey of budgeting and it has made such a huge difference.
200 gms (6 oz) cremini mushrooms,finely chopped
350 gms (11 oz) hard tofu, with water pressed out
2-3 cloves of garlic
3-4 Tbsp basil
200gms (2 c.) bread crumbs (or use gluten free)
1 heaped Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp chilli garlic sauce, or to taste
Extra breadcrumbs for coating
Recipe from Chef in You
In a pan, heat about a tsp of olive oil and sauce the onions until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook over low heat until onions begin to break down and caramelise. When I did mine I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the recipe when it called for the onions and mushrooms to be finely chopped. So last minute I decided to caramelise the onions to help break them down so it would be easier to form the patties. This ended up giving it amazing flavour. Once caramelised set aside and allow to cool.
Add the mushrooms and onion mixture to a bowl and stir the crumbled tofu, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, vinegar and chilli sauce.
Stir until well mixed and then refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Divide mixture into patties, pressing together well. This makes 4-6 patties depending on how large you make the patties.
Coat them with extra breadcrumbs. In a frying pan add some olive oil to coat the pan and shallow fry or pan fry the patties. Cook them 4-5 minutes on each side or until they are golden. Make sure to turn them carefully to prevent them from breaking up. Drain on paper towels. If desired you can season them with salt at this point while they are still fresh from the skillet, we personally didn’t feel they needed it. We served our tofu burgers with spinach, tomato and hummus.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.