Today is Sunday Suppers 2nd Birthday. Sunday Supper is the brain child of Isabel Reis Laessig. It was Isabel’s dream to inspire bloggers to help bring families back together at the dinner table. I joined this amazing group a year and a half ago and have loved being inspired by my other fellow bloggers. We were told to share our favourite memory of Sunday Supper today. Mine is bitter sweet in a way because my fondest memories of the last year and a half were the two times I was actually able to participate in the live twitter chat. Because of the time difference here in the UK I can’t participate in the twitter chats so the few times I have been able to participate have been so fun. These bloggers are so fun to hang out with. If you haven’t joined them yet on Sunday nights for the twitter chats you need to. Until I joined this group I had never really gotten into using twitter, I didn’t really get it. But joining this fabulous group of bloggers I discovered how fun twitter can be as a platform to talk to people all around the world. Hopefully I will be able to join in on more chats in the future but until then I just enjoy the fellowship I get with this community through our blogs.
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash
(10 oz) mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil and more as needed
(1/4 c.) balsamic vinegar
1 medium size butternut squash
olive oil for drizzling
handful of chopped walnuts *optional
Turn oven onto 180C (350F) Cut the butternut squash in half and place in a roasting tin cut side up and drizzle some olive oil over them, sprinkle with some freshly cracked salt and pepper. Put in oven for 40 minutes.
While the butternut squash is roasting in a large sauce pan heat the olive oil medium high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Once the onions/mushrooms begin to brown, turn the heat down to medium. Stir often to prevent burning and reduce the heat if needed. Allow the onions to caramelized to a beautiful tan/brown colour, this could take up to 30 minutes.
Once the onions have started to caramelise deglaze the pan with the vinegar, stir the pan to make sure you pick up any browning bits stuck to the pan. Remove from heat.
Chop up the squash innards and toss with caramelized onions and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt, pepper and possibly more balsamic vinegar.
Full the butternut squash shells with the mixture and top with chopped nuts. Put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until nuts are toasted.
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.