I did it! I followed a dream of mine and opened up a food stall and catering business! This is the most intense and risky things I have ever done and I am loving it. We had our first day in the local market yesterday and while it wasn’t a huge financial success for our first day it was still a success. We learned so much and now have a much clearer idea about what we need to do next. If I learned anything yesterday it is that no matter how far fetched your dreams can seem at the time, keep trying to reach for them because you never know how high you can go until you at least try.
But any way, enough about me. Today Sunday Supper is sharing picnic recipes. Since hubby and I are trying to eat less carbs we have been having fun exploring more salad recipes. This one was inspired from our recent trip to Italy. I love bruschetta and we enjoyed it a lot while we were there. But trying to cut out some of our bread I decided to turn it into a simple salad that would not only be a wonderful week day summer meal but perfect to pack up for a picnic.
If you are taking it with you on a picnic make the tomato salad and package it separate from the spinach and dressing until you are ready to serve. This is Katy from Happy Baking Days first time hosting so make sure you go check her out and give her some love for hosting such a fun and festive theme for the holiday weekend.
Caprese Spinach Salad
150g (5 oz) mozzarella cherries, cut in half
1 Tbsp olive oil
10 basil leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
60mL (1/4 c.) Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
170g (6 oz) fresh spinach, washed
Pour the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan, or deep frying pan over medium heat. Bring the heat to a boil without reducing the heat on the stove. Then turn down the heat so that boil reduces to a simmer, once the vinegar has reached a simmer add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir occasionally and allow to simmer until the vinegar has reduced by at least half. Allow to cool completely.
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Check back on Sunday for all the recipes! You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.
- 250g (9 oz) cherry tomatoes, cut in half]
- 150g (5 oz) mozzarella cherries, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 basil leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60mL (1/4 c.) Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 170g (6 oz) fresh spinach, washed
- Pour the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan, or deep frying pan over medium heat. Bring the heat to a boil without reducing the heat on the stove. Then turn down the heat so that boil reduces to a simmer, once the vinegar has reached a simmer add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir occasionally and allow to simmer until the vinegar has reduced by at least half. Allow to cool completely.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the caprese mixture onto of spinach and carefully drizzle the balsamic dressing.