We all have days when we just need some comfort food. Winter often means days on end of cloudy grey skies that does nothing but fuel gloomy moods. So having a dish that warms the belly and the soul is a must for me. I was shocked to learn that my husband had never tried gnocchi before. As a foodie I feel I have some how failed him having gone this long into our marriage and not prepared it for him. I have actually added homemade gnocchi to my food bucket list to try this year. While I know it takes a lot of effort I hear that home made is an amazing must try. For now I will take the easy road because not only does it take less effort it is a simple weekday meal option because it only takes 3 minutes to cook.
It is simple meals like this that the I find can turn a gloomy day around. I wonder why comfort food does so much for our emotions. I have no idea, but all I know is ending a bad day with this put a smile on my face.
Gnocchi with Broccoli & Parmesan Cream Sauce
1 garlic clove , crushed
pinch chilli flakes (optional)
150ml (2/3 c.) vegetable stock
4 Tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
50g (1/2 c.) parmesan
250g (1/2 lb) broccoli florets
250g (1/2 lb) gnocchi
Add the stock, bring to a boil then reduce by 3/4. Whisk in the crème fraîche then stir in the parmesan to make a sauce. Keep warm on a low heat.
Cook the broccoli in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Scoop out the pan with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain.
- 14g (1 Tbsp) butter
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- 150ml (2/3 c.) vegetable stock
- 4 Tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- 50g (1/2 c.) parmesan, or vegetarian alternative, finely grated
- 250g (1/2 lb) broccoli florets
- 250g (1/2 lb) gnocchi
- Heat butter in a small pan then cook the garlic and chilli (if using) for 2 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil then reduce by ¾.
- Whisk in the crème fraîche then stir in the parmesan to make a sauce. Keep warm on a low heat.
- Cook the broccoli in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Scoop out the pan with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain.
- Add the gnocchi to the same boiling water and cook following pack instructions. Drain. Toss the gnocchi and broccoli with the sauce and serve in warmed bowls.