First I wanted to say that no, I haven’t all ready fallen off the wagon with my meat-free challenge, this dish was cooked and shot during the holidays. So far we have gone 2 weeks meat-free and while we have been craving some of our favourite meat dishes we have loved the meals I have come up with during this time and I am looking forward to sharing more of them with you.
Today Sunday Supper is celebrating it’s 1 year birthday. It has actually been 7 months since I was invited to join this amazing, supportive group of bloggers. It is amazing how close you can draw to people having never met them in person. In these 7 months I have enjoyed getting to know each and everyone of the Sunday Supper bloggers lives and more their amazing dishes. I have already enjoyed so many of their dishes at home and many more are on my must try list. To celebrate this occasion we have all decided to pick one of each others dishes that we have made over this past year and share it.
The second I saw Connie’s, from The Food Army Wife’s, Drunken Moose Meatballs I knew I had to try it. Sadly I don’t have any access to moose meat but these were still amazing with beef. Hands down these were the best meatballs I have made. We served them at our appetizer night during Christmas and everyone wanted the recipe. But they were also amazing served as a main course with mashed potatoes and green beans. Yes I made them twice in one week, but seriously these were good. Don’t forget to go and check out the other amazing recipes that Connie shares and enjoy the delicious flash back recipes that the Sunday Supper group is serving up today.
I love Sunday Supper and I am so excited to celebrate its 1 year birthday and look forward to seeing what another year will bring to this group. The thing to love about this group is the fact that everyone believes in the simple idea that we need to focus more on coming together and sitting down to a meal. I believe walking away from such a simple concept is one of the broken aspects of the western culture. It not only invites unhealthy eating and spending habits but it prevents us from connecting with each other. So turn off your phones, computers and pads and spend some quality time with people you love.
60mL (1/4 c .) Worcestershire Sauce
150g (1 1/4 c.) fresh breadcrumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp parsley
3 Tbsp butter
1 onion, finely diced
80mL (1/3 c.) bourbon whiskey
475mL (2 c.) Favourite bottled BBQ sauce
To begin, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Place the meat into a bowl and break it up a little bit. Mix in the Worcestershire Sauce to the meat. Mix in the breadcrumbs wht the parsley and salt & pepper. Mix well.
Measure out your meat into balls the size of a golf ball. About a “rounded Tablespoon” scoop is perfect for this. Scoop it into your hand, briefly press and shape it into a ball. Place it on a large baking sheet. Repeat with all of the meat mixture.
Bake these for 20 minutes.
While they are baking, sauté the onions in the butter until they are golden brown and beautiful. Pour in the bourbon and let it simmer for a minute. Stir in the BBQ sauce, and combine. Let it cook a minute, and then turn off the heat.
When the meatballs are done baking, place them in a small crock pot or chafing dish. Pour the sauce over the top, and then gently stir to coat. Cover and let them sit on low heat for 30 minutes.
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
- 910g (2 lbs) ground beef
- 60mL (1/4 c .) Worcestershire Sauce
- 150g (1¼ c.) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 80mL (1/3 c.) bourbon whiskey
- 475mL (2 c.) Favourite bottled BBQ sauce
- To begin, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Place the meat into a bowl and break it up a little bit. Mix in the Worcestershire Sauce to the meat. Mix in the breadcrumbs wht the parsley and salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Measure out your meat into balls the size of a golf ball. About a “rounded Tablespoon” scoop is perfect for this. Scoop it into your hand, briefly press and shape it into a ball. Place it on a large baking sheet. Repeat with all of the meat mixture.
- Bake these for 20 minutes.
- While they are baking, sauté the onions in the butter until they are golden brown and beautiful. Pour in the bourbon and let it simmer for a minute. Stir in the BBQ sauce, and combine. Let it cook a minute, and then turn off the heat.
- When the meatballs are done baking, place them in a small crockpot or chafing dish. Pour the sauce over the top, and then gently stir to coat. Cover and let them sit on low heat for 30 minutes.