I love Christmas, the atmosphere, music, lights and the food. But what I don’t like is when other areas of my life, not holiday related, seem to go crazy. I want to just spend every day listening to Christmas music, watch Christmas movies, go shopping and make Christmas cookies. But sadly adult responsibility dictates the activities of the day. Because of this chaos dinner is often an even bigger struggle. During the year most weeks I have meal plans and keep fairly organized around meal times but this month everything related to organization seems to go out the window and I am often left wondering what to make. Thankfully this disorganization happens during such cold months when cold bones crave warm soup. Soup is one of those things that is simple to just throw together and often times you don’t even need a recipe. This soup was the result of the throwing of ingredients together from leftover ingredients and hoping that it would turn out and the result hit the spot with us. I chose to make it rather spicy because after walking home in freezing weather I knew my husband could use the extra warmth. I might not enjoy the busy days but sitting at home with a warm bowl of this after the crazy day some how makes it all worth it.
Turkey and White Bean Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp oil
236mL (1 c.) salsa verde
1 tin of drained and rinsed cannellini beans
340g (2 c.) diced cooked turkey
473mL (2 c.) turkey stock*
handful of chopped coriander
*Can substitute chicken stock
De-stem and de-seed the chiles, chop. Sauté them in the oil with the onion and garlic, in a large stewing pot, until soft and lightly browned.
Add the drained, beans, the diced turkey and broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes, again stirring frequently.
- 1 or 2 chiles depending on how hot you want it
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 236mL (1 c.) salsa verde
- 1 tin of drained and rinsed cannellini beans
- 340g (2 c.) diced cooked turkey
- 473mL (2 c.) turkey stock*
- handful of chopped coriander
- *Can substitute chicken stock
- De-stem and de-seed the chiles, chop. Sauté them in the oil with the onion and garlic, in a large stewing pot, until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the salsa verde, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the drained, beans, the diced turkey and broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes, again stirring frequently.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped coriander.