I am so excited about this #SundaySupper. This week we are celebrating New Year’s with Potluck and Sandwich Recipes by Emeril Lagasse. Emeril is one of those chefs that’s so fun to follow because his passion for food is so expressive and contagious. His belief that food should be full of flavour makes him a chef after my own heart. Some of us at #SundaySupper were given the fanatic opportunity to review one of two books, Emeril’s Potluck and Emeril’s Kicked-up Sandwiches. I would have been happy to review either but I was so excited to see that I was sent the potluck book. What I love about his style of cooking is that he knows how to “Kick it up a notch” as he likes to say. In my opinion the key to good cooking is all in the seasoning. If someone ever has to add salt or any seasoning to my food then I failed. And with Emeril’s recipes I am never disappointed. We have already tried two different recipes from Emeril’s Potluck and I am excited to continue to make my way through it. Hubby was especially interested when he came across a recipe for a Creole Bread Pudding.
And if you want to win your own copy of one of Emeril’s cookbooks then come and join us for our Twitter chat at 7pm EST. The publisher is giving us the opportunity to give away one of the cook books to one of our followers. All you have to do is start following me on twitter, @wallet_appetite and join us tonight, December 30, 2012 on Twitter at 7pm EST for our #SundaySupper chat. Then at sometime during the hour, post: “Enter Me @wallet_appetite #SundaySupper” and one of the participants that posts that, will win a copy of one of these cookbooks!
Emeril’s recipe that I am sharing with you is one that is going to making its way to my New Years Eve Party this year. A simple nut dish that is so addictive it is perfect for any party.
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups unsalted mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and almonds
4 Tbps unsalted butter
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
Heat the nuts in a dry skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to toast, about 4 minutes.
Add the butter and cook, stirring, until the nuts begin to darken, about 1 minute. Add the spices, the sugar, 1 Tbsp water and the salt and cook, stirring until the sauce thickens and the nuts are glazed; about 5 minutes.
Remove the nuts from the heat and transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, separating them with a fork. Let the nuts stand until cooled and the sugar has hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container. (I just placed them on a sheet of wax paper)
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril’s Potluck, William Morrow Publishers, New York, 2004 OR Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril’s Kicked-up Sandwiches, William Morrow Publishers, New York, 2012
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
- Champagne Punch by girlichef
- Champagne Punch by Daily Dish Recipes
- Champagne Punch by Midlife Roadtrip
- Champagne Punch by Family Foodie
- Chi Chi Cocktails by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
- Spiced Nuts by The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Spiced Nuts by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Spiced Nuts by Home Cooking Memories
- Spiced Nuts by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Prosciutto Breadsticks & Spiced Nuts by Galactosemia in PDX
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Dishes and Sandwiches:
- Sopressata and Genoa Salami Calzones by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Craving’s of a Lunatic
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Supper for a Steal
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Diabetic Foodie
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Foodie Army Wife
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Weekend Gourmet
- Columbia Street Grinder by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Columbia Street Grinder by Momma’s Meals
- Emeril’s Columbia Street Grinder Kicked Up a Notch New Orleans Style by The Catholic Foodie
- Eggplant Muffuletta by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- A Vegetarian Take on Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches Tonkatsu Sandwich by Ninja Baking
- New Orleans Style Garlic BBQ Shrimp by Comfy Cuisine
Sunday Supper NYE Desserts:
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce by Magnolia Days
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with 2 Sauces by Juanita’s Cocina
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze by Damn Delicious
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.