I love wine, I love to drink it and I love to cook with it. So when #SundaySupper’s theme for this week was announced to be all about wine I got excited. Sadly living in the UK meant that I didn’t qualify to receive the free shipments of wine to sample but never mind I am blessed to live somewhere with such incredible access to some of the best wines around the world. But for those readers in the US check out the code for free shipping when you join The Wine Club by Schlossadler Wines use code FFSS1. Next Shipment is October 2012 ~ Halloween Day Ghostly Whites, Haunted Red for all friendly spirits everywhere. If you love wine being apart of a wine club is a fantastic and fun way to be introduced to new wines and help further develop your palate.
For my recipe cooking with wine recipe I wanted something that was simple and created less mess. We had just gotten back from vacation and we were tired, yet ready for some home cooked food. Piccata is a very simple process that I love to use, piccata just refers to the method of cooking the meat and using the pan drippings for a sauce. I use this method for many different recipes and I tend to do it different each time. Traditionally it is prepared with butterflied chicken breasts but I had thighs on hand so I chose to use them instead.
Chicken and Mushroom Piccata
1 tsp salt
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
250g (1/2 lb) fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
250mL (1 c.) chicken broth
125mL (1/2 c.) white wine
Heat up a heavy bottomed skillet with the oil and then add the butter. Once the butter is hot but not burning, add the chicken and brown on each side, 3 minutes on each side. Take out of the pan and set aside.
Add the onions, mushrooms and garlic to the pan drippings and saute over high heat until the onions and mushrooms are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
Pour the chicken broth into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. I served this with rice but it would also go well with steamed veggies.
This Sunday Supper, we are honoured to be sharing a selection of fruity and dry wines from The Wine Club by Schlossadler Wines. Schlossadler Wines has been importing fine wines from family owned vineyards and bringing it right to your doorstep since 1979. Schlossadler International Wines imports from small family vineyards.
The talented group of Sunday Supper Bloggers have developed fabulous recipes and we can’t wait to share these wines with you:
- 2006 H.O. Becker, Kerner Auslese, Rheinhessen
- 2010 Ernst Holler, Blaufrankisch, Burgenland
- 2010 Kotuku Winery, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough
A Midsummer’s Picnic w/ Wine by GirliChef
- Shrimp Scampi with Homemade Garlic Toast by Big Bears Wife
- Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw by ENOFYLZ
- Wine & Dine with Schlossadler International Wine Club by Wine Everyday
- Elegant Pot Roast by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chicken with Feta and Sundried Tomatoes + Apple Crisp by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Shepherd’s Pie with Red Wine Mushroom Gravy by Juanita’s Cocina
- Pork Piccatta by Family Foodie
- Shrimp Skagen Salad in Avocado Halves by Tora’s Real Food
- Shrimp Salad With Lemon Tarragon Dressing by Magnolia Days
- Red, White and Cordon Bleu by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Florentine by There and Back
- Penne Rigate with a White Ragu Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Moules a la Provencale by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Delicious BBQ Ribs by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chicken and Mushroom Chicken Piccata by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Ginger Roast Chicken with Red Wine Plum Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef Stroganoff by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Strawberry-Pink Champagne Sorbet by The Messy Baker Blog
- Italian Style Baby Back Ribs by Cooking Underwriter
- Muscat and Raspberry Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Late Harvest Citrus Cake by Vintage Kitchen Note
- Roasted Sausages with Grapes by Comfy Cuisine
We have a special discount for all participants: Free Shipping when you join The Wine Club by Schlossadler Wines use code FFSS1.