This #SundaySupper is a second one with Katie Workman, author of the Mom 100 Cookbook. Author Katie Workman stresses one major thing in her new cookbook and that is that feeding our families doesn’t have to be stressful. Her recipes are all about simple, every day meals that help bring the family together. Sadly her cookbook isn’t going to be released in the UK for another month but I have had a great time following some of the recipes that my fellow #SundaySupper crew have been posting. This week I took one of the recipes that was featured a few weeks ago. I had to make some slight adjustments to the recipe because of what is available in my area, but this was a simple and great tasting recipe.
Lasagna Parcels with Turkey Meat Sauce
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
100g (1 c.) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
12 no-cook lasagna noodles
450g (4 cups) mozzarella grated
12 strands of green onion strips
Turkey Meat Sauce (see recipe below)
Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F)
Place the ricotta, basil, oregano, and 3/4 of the Parmesan and 2 large handfuls of mozzarella, stir to blend. The original recipe called for eggs to go in the cheese mixture, but I got distracted and forgot it. However I loved my results so I didn’t include it in my recipe, but if you feel it needs to be thicker then add 2 eggs.
Boil a large pot of salted water and drop the lasagna noodles in. Cook until it is just soft enough to roll about 1-2 minutes.
While the water is boiling add in the green onion strands for 30 seconds and then take out and set aside.
Divide your cheese mixture into 12 portions. Take your softened lasagna and place one portion cheese at one end.
Turkey Meat Sauce
500g (1/2 lb) ground turkey
125g (1/4 lbs) turkey sausage, removed from the casing
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large clove of finely minced garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
Big glug or two of red wine
2 cans (28 ounces EACH), crushed tomatoes
*Sadly in the UK we don’t get much in the way of turkey so I wasn’t able to find turkey sausages so I used pork sausages)
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and the turkey sausage meat and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up the meat until it’s very crumbly and browned throughout, 4 to 6 minutes. Place the browned meat in a strainer and let the fat drain off.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same pot over medium heat. Don’t clean the pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano and basil and cook, stirring, until you can smell the garlic and herbs, about 2 minutes.
Add the wine and scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot, cook until the wine pretty much evaporates, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and let the tomato mixture, stirring it occasionally for about 10 minutes.
Add the browned turkey and sausage mixture, reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until nicely thickened and the flavours have blended, about 20 minutes.
Check out the rest of the fabulous recipes featured for this #SundaySupper
- Japanese Restaurant Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing Shockingly Delicious @shockinglydlish
- Spicy Ranch Bacon & Avocado Quesadilla Daily Dish Recipes @nicolehcook
- Pear, Goat cheese and Pancetta Grilled Pizza MamaMommyMom @mamamommymom
- Turkey Meat Sauce The Meltaways @MrsMeltaway
- Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce GirliChef @girlichef
- Salsa Chicken Quesadilla with a homemade cilantro chimichurri Juanita’s Cocina @juanitascocina
- Individual Grilled Pizza Big Bears Wife @bigbearswife
- Beans and Cheese Quesadila with Tomato Salad Basic n Delicious @basicndelicious
- Grill Roasted Honey Ginger Chicken Are you Hungry? @redkathy
- One-Pot Arroz con Pollo – Cuban Style Comfy Cuisine @trish0605
- Sesame Noodles With Shrimp and Vegetables Magnolia Days @reneedobbs
- Fresh Mozzarella Pasta Casserole Twitter Doggie at The Dinner Table @doggieatdinner
- Arroz con Pollo Puerto Rican style Cooking by the seat of our pants @cbsop
- Rice Toppings of Garlic, Lemon, Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Summer Pineapple The Queen’s Notebook @mango_queen
- Pizza Quesadillas Meal Planning Magic @mealplanmom
- Sesame Noodles Cupcakes and Kale Chips @CupcakeKaleChip
- Lasagna Parcels with Turkey Meat Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite @wallet_appetite
- Grilled Chicken Pita Sandwich Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again @shlylais
- Grilled Breakfast Pizza & Sauteed Corn & Spinach Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals @mommasmeals
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach, Bacon and scallions! Mama’s Blissful Bites @mamapoolecooks
- Thai Style Sesame Glass Noodle My Trials in the Kitchen @seetfei
- Caramelized Onion & Flank Steak Quesadilla In The Kitchen with KP @InTheKitchenKP
- Teriyaki Skewers Real Best Recipe @realbestrecipe
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame Cilantro & Bacon Bits Sue’s Nutrition Buzz @ssunithi
- Pulled Pork with Papa Mike’s Cole Slaw In the Kitchen with Audrey @audreysmamma
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach Bacon and Scallions That Skinny Chick Can Bake @thatskinnychick
- Arroz con Pollo Portuguese Style Family Foodie @familyfoodie
- Fudgy One Pot Brownies Mrs. Mama Hen @MrsMamaHen
- Simple Vanilla Cupcakes Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks @HezziD
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares Chocolate Moosey @chocolatemoosey
- Butterscotch-Bacon Apple cookies What Smells So Good? @jo_jo_ba
Wine pairing Wine Everyday @wineeveryday
We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! #SundaySupper starts every week at 3:00pm ET by showcasing fabulous recipes. At 7:00 pm ET, we will start our live chat with Katie. Join us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.