For this #SundaySupper we are celebrating the 4th of July and what better way to do that then to celebrate with a big BBQ! Even though I live in the UK, I am an American citizen so I wanted to bring a dish to the #SundaySupper table. I spend a lot of time trying to think about what I could do that would be unique. What dish screams American 4th of July BBQ but would be different enough that it would stand out from the rest? Of course the first image that came in my head when I thought about 4th of July was the cake that my mom always made with a flag made with blueberries as the stars and strawberries and bananas as the stripes. Blueberries are such part of my memories of an American Summer. I had heard of using fruit like apricots and peaches in a BBQ sauce but I had never heard of using blueberries. My husband thought I was a bit strange but I just knew it was going to be good. It turns out I was right, the combination of sweet and spice was perfect.
It would have also paired nicely with a grilled fillet of salmon. And since I have leftovers of the sauce I think I might just give that a try on the 4th. This recipe was adapted from a The Grilling Companion
Grilled Chicken in a Blueberry BBQ Sauce
2 Lt (2 qt) water
50g (1/4 c.) kosher salt
2 Tbsp white sugar
250g (2 c.) blueberries
60mL (1/4 c.) balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp brown sugar
80mL (1/3 c. ketchup)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Worcestershire
Create brine with water, sugar and salt. Add to a large plastic ziplock bag or a food grade plastic container and allow to brine for 2-3 hours. Rinse chicken, pat dry and set aside.
Once you hit the boiling point, turn the heat down and simmer for around 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken (as the berries break down), stirring occasionally.Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Heat up charcoal, before you add the chicken to the BBQ you should be able to hold your hand over the heat without it hurting. Chicken on a BBQ should take 2-3 hours to cook properly without burning so it does take time and patience but the result is so worth it. Add the chicken to the grill and make sure if large flame come up that you move the chicken around the grill.
Serve with your favourite side dishes. I chose my new favourite Chroizo Baked Beans and Grilled Garlic and Paprika Corn-on-the-Cob.
Check out more amazing #SundaySupper dishes.
- Tender & Sweet Crockpot Brisket Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Patriotic Chicken Kabobs Big Bear’s Wife
- Firecracker Salmon Rolls Comfy Cuisine
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals
- Baby Back Ribs with Balsamic Peach BBQ Sauce Damn Delicious
- Bubblin’ Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs In The Kitchen With KP
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Beef Mrs. Mama Hen
- Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad with Perfectly Grilled Chicken and Potatoes Daddy Knows Less
- Texas Smoked Brisket Doggie At The Dinner Table
- Chicken Burgers with Curried Cabbage Slaw-Indian Soni’s Food for Thought
- Finger Foods for the Fourth Pescetarian Journal
- Grilled Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce Tora’s Real Food
Salads and Sides:
Salads and Sides:
- Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad Supper for a Steal
- Roasted/Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Katherine Martinelli
- Patriotic Ranch Potato Salad The Meltaways
- Roasted Red Pepper & White Bean Salad Are you hungry
- Texas-Creole Crawfish Potato Salad The Weekend gourmet
- Spicy Italian Peppers in Sauce What Smells so Good?
- Sangria Fruit Salad Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Stuffed Black Olive Cookistry
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Low Fat Pasta Salad Basic and Delicious
- Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables Diabetic Foodie
- Fourth Sticks In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer Family Foodie
- Red White & Blueberry Ricotta Cupcakes Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Red Velvet Brownies Magnolia Days
- S’mores Pastries Daily Dish Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Firecracker Cupcakes Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel-filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream The Messy Baker
- Strawberry and Cream Cake Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- White Chocolate Berry Tart Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Red White and Blue Coconut Rum Cake Family Spice
- Individual Red White and Blue Triffles Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Mini Carrot Cakes Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Plum and Apple Pies Cositas Bonitas
Join us this week! We’ll share these fabulous recipes and want you to share yours with us! The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon. At 5:30 pm EST, we will be available to chat with you. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter or follow along on TweetChat. Our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board will be filled with fabulous family recipes. There is always room Around the Family Table for you.