I have been participating in the #SundaySupper movement started by Isabel, the FamilyFoodie now for a few weeks and I feel so blessed to be apart of a group of bloggers with such a heart for bringing families back to the dinner table with homecooked meals. Each week we pick different themes to share with our followers and this week has been a special theme, rather then a food theme we have all been asked to answer the question, “What does Sunday Supper mean to you?” Sunday Supper means the family coming together for not only a meal but to create memories that last a lifetime. Growing up I didn’t realize that I had something unique in that we ate almost every single dinner, including during the week, together. Family dinners at times were several hours long because long after the food was done we were often still gathered round the table playing games. One of our favourite was a game called, ‘Remember when’. During the game we would share funny stories that had either happened to us as a family or a bit of confession times as us kids told tales of adventures we had with my parents being none the wiser. We never felt scared to confess silly escapades because everything shared during ‘Remember When’ was safe. And my parents shared crazy memories from their youth as well. I don’t remember all of the stories but what I do remember is the laughter, there was so much of it. My favourite was when my dad would start laughing so hard that he would fall off his chair. Life is hard sometimes and it doesn’t always turn out the way we imagined it as kids but it is memories like this that help me remember that the best part of life is in the small moments. I hope that my husband and I can help create even more amazing memories like this with our family.
This recipe is a family special from my new family. My father-in-law always makes the pastry while my mother-in-law creates the filling and the rest of us anxiously await the moment when we can lick our plates. When I was first served it my husband and I were just newly engaged and I still felt I was trying to make an impression, so it took everything within me not to lick my plate, I instead requested some bread so I could clean my plate. My father is the king of pastry in our family and he taught me a new trick to make sure that the bottom crust cooks evenly something that up until now I had never mastered with meat pies.
Chicken Curry Pie
70g (1/3 c.) butter
70g (1/3 c.) lard (shortening)
2-3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 egg, beaten
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground ginger (or fresh if you have it on hand)
3 Tbsp hot madras curry paste .
8 skinless chicken thigh fillets (about 900g) cubed
250mL (1 c.) chicken stock
200mL (3/4 c.) coconut cream*
salt and pepper
Mix salt and flour in a bowl, add the butter and lard with a pastry knife or a fork. When the mix resembles breadcrumbs add the water gradually.
When the dough just sticks together knead it lightly until it forms a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 15 mins.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan, gently cook onions until softened, add garlic, ginger and curry paste and cook further minute. Add chicken to the pan stir to coat with spices cook to seal for 5 minutes.
Add the stock and coconut cream and simmer for 20-25 mins until sauce had thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. *Note this is coconut cream not milk, if you add coconut milk it will have too much liquid.
Preheat oven to 200 C
Roll out half the pastry and use to line a large pie dish. Now for the trick my dad taught me. Scramble up the egg and with a pastry brush coat the bottom of the pie crust with egg.
Roll the remaining pastry and use to cover the dish. Press the edges down to seal the pie and top with more egg.
This week the #SundaySupper Group is incredibly honoured to have Merrell join us Around the Family Table. Just like the #SundaySupper crew, Merrell is passionate about what they do and it shows. They believe that ”Outside is more than a place, it’s our history and inspiration for the future.” Merrell has chosen 10 amazing bloggers to host a giveaway on their site. So make sure you stop by for a chance to win some great Merrell Products. Contest only open to US residents.
Blueberry Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Korean Ribs – Alaska Camping Edition with MrsMamaHen
- Fresh Corn on the Cob by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado by Basic n Delicious
- Shallot BBQ Shredded Beef by Juanita’s Cocina
- Taking #SundaySupper Outdoors With a Fun Picnic…Featuring Spicy Pinto and Black Bean Salad with Roasted Corn and Avocado by The Weekend Gourmet
- On Top of Our Game with Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars by The Watering Mouth
- Chicken & Dumplings Around the Campfire by Daily Dish Recipes
- Wine & Food Festivals; a lifestyle the whole family can enjoy! by Wine Everyday
- Outdoor Grilling Filipino Rice Cakes in Coconut & Banana Leaves by The Queen’s Notebook
The Sunday Supper fun continues. Take a look at these wonderful stories and recipes for this event:
- Embracing Old Family Traditions while creating New Ones ~ Enchiladas de Chile y Ajo by Girlichef
- The Embassy´s Nut Crescents by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chicken Curry Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Prosecco Sangria by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Grilled Campfire Steak with Bleu Cheese Sauce by The Messy Baker
- Bringing #SundaySupper to All by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey Mustard Baked Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- S’mores Brownies: Desserts Make #SundaySupper by Mama Mommy Mom
- Tandoori Salmon Rolled in Whole Wheat Couscous by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Macaroni with Spinach Pecan Pesto-Enjoying by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Southwestern Chicken Wraps Fam Friends Food
- Ahi Tuna Salad Family Style Family Foodie
- Wines For The Foods That Move You ENOFYLZ
Let’s celebrate wine, food, friends and #SundaySupper. The fun starts every week at 3:00pm ET by showcasing fabulous recipes. At 7:00 pm ET, we will start our live chat. Join us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all of our followers.
You might want to say hello to our friends at Merrell too: www.merrell.com